It started in 2002 and in May 2011 became the first prominent social media company to go public.
Some people call it “Facebook of Professionals”.
1. First activity an individual does on LinkedIn is to create a profile.
2. Then you can build your contact network by inviting people you know to connect to your network.
3. You can utilize your contact network to find jobs and business opportunities and see these when some one within your contact network recommends it.
- Employers can list jobs and search for potential candidates.
- Job seekers can review the profile of hiring managers and discover which of their existing contacts can introduce them.
- Users can post their own photos and view photos of others to aid in identification.
- Users can now follow different companies and can get notification about the new joining and offers available.
- Users can save (i.e. bookmark) jobs which they would like to apply for.
Other LinkedIn features are LinkedIn Polls and Answers.
Users can also create groups – both open and private.
A rather lesser known figure is a new development that helps users download a resume based on their LinkedIn profiles.